I review for BookSneeze

Friday, February 5, 2010

Review for " The Selfless Gene" by Charles Foster


The Selfless Gene: Living With God and Darwin is an apt description for what Charles Foster sets out to accomplish with this book. He takes a middle-of-the-road approach, admitting his anger with both extreme camps of the debate: the extreme Darwinists and the Creationists. Foster proceeds to dismantle both positions, along the way offering a scientific and theological discussion that leaves room for both evolution and religion to breathe.
As a Christian, I have always wrestled with how to reconcile the apparent contradictions between what the Bible says and what science continues to discover. This book was a fascinating look at how one does not need to discard belief in God and the Bible, or respect for science! While I am not sure I agree with all his conclusions, especially the theological implications, he has stretched my thinking and given me a great deal to ponder. If you have already made up your mind where you fall in the evolution debate, this book will make you angry. I highly recommend it for any open-minded person who wants to learn more.
The book is not an easy read as it contains a great deal of scientific language and references. However, it is accessible. Some of the scientific chapters seemed long, but on the whole it kept my interest and by the end I found I could not put it down.
Four out of five stars.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind comments on my book: they mean a lot.
    All best wishes.
    Charles Foster

    ReplyDelete